Muscle up Monday with Optimal Health Coaching
THE Squat row
– Quadriceps & gluteus medius + maximus
– trapezius, rhomboid major, teres major, latissimus dorsi, posterior deltoid
– If you are a beginner to either squats or rows, please work those individual exercises first to get a good basis for form and technique.
– Using a cable machine & the row handle
– Using a low weight to start, grab the handle and step two feet backwards, facing the cable
– Feet are a little wider than shoulder width, toes pointed out at 45 degrees.
– Core is activated by drawing the belly button into the spine
– Stick your butt out slight and bend the knees, keeping your back up tall, shoulders drawn down and back
o You do not sit in a full squat position (butt below parallel), but rather a semi squat
o Ensure your knees are over your ankles, and not too far forward.
– Exhale and draw the elbows in alongside the body by retracting the shoulders
– Inhale and reverse the direction of movement
– Ensure your core stay’s tight throughout the entire movement
– Don’t come out of the squat
Options for increased difficulty: Stand on a BOSU ball.